My mother taught me how to love music. A love affair fed by Alanis Morissette and The Cranberries that has now evolved into a genuine love for all things acoustic, indie, and folk. I’ve been listening to a bunch of different things lately, and I figured it might be fun to share some of the bands I’m into with some other music enthusiasts. So here’s my top ten winter bands (not that they came out with anything this winter, but I’ve been listening to them a lot this winter), and you should check them out. Hopefully you’ve heard all of these bands! Let me know what you think and leave me some suggestions of bands I just HAVE to listen to!
1. The Head and the Heart — amazing band. folky and acoustic, brilliant lyrics. Saw them in concert on Halloween.
2. Local Natives — these guys have been around for a while but released a new album recently. amazing live performers.
3. The Civil Wars — everyone’s heard of them, but their new album is actually just magical. MAGICAL.
4. The Staves — these three sisters toured with Bon Iver and sing harmonies that will melt your soul. Seriously.
5. The Oh Hellos — a very folky band from the States that have some of the loveliest lyrics out there.
6. Ben Howard — this Brit knows how to melt hearts. His voice is like silk. For real.
7. John Lucas — a small up-and-coming artist who has some pretty great tunes available on noisetrade.com (for free!)
8. Flogging Molly — Irish punk music. Enough said.
9. City and Colour — always a favourite here in Toronto, and his new album is just spectacular.
10. Dustin Kensrue — from Thrice, this guy has an amazing new worship album out that is mind blowingly fantastic.
So there you have it. My winter top ten is there for the taking. Leave me some of your faves in the comment section below. I’ll let you know what I think! Also, in case you didn’t realize, the video I’m feature with this list is from The Head and the Heart– Down in the Valley. This version was filmed in Toronto, in front of the Opera House last year. Awesome!
Until next time,